Opportunity splitting help you to share sales credit across an opportunity team. Salesforce introduce this feature with Summer’13 release. If your sales process includes multiple team members that should receive some portion of credit for a closed-won sale/deal, then you can use this feature.
Business Use Case :- In Universal container normally single opportunity, get split and credit between two salespeople. They collaborated on the deal to close-won, so if it is worth $300,000, each would get $150,000 and if they took help from Sales engineer to close deal faster than in this case sales engineer will get some % of credit that is Overlay split.
Type of opportunity splits
There are two different types of opportunity splits. They are:
1) Revenue Splits :- Which must equal 100% of the opportunity amount. Revenue splits allow you to allocate credit to sales reps who are directly involved in an opportunity, and responsible for the revenue associated with it.
2) Overlay Splits :- It allow you to allocate credit to team members who are somewhat involved in the opportunity but not directly responsible for the revenue generated from that opportunity. Overlay splits . Unlike revenue splits, overlay splits are not limited by the opportunity amount. This can be any percentage of the actual opportunity total up to and even exceeding 100%.
Step to enable opportunity splits
1) Enable Team Selling :- To enable Opportunity Team you can follow below instruction
- Name | Setup | App Setup | Customize | Opportunities | Opportunity Teams | Settings
- Select “Enable Team Selling” check-box
- Add Opportunity Team related list on all opportunity page layouts.
- Click on Save
2) Enable Opportunity Splits :- To enable Opportunity Splits follow the below instruction
- Navigate to Opportunity Teams menu by following this path Name | Setup | App Setup | Customize | Opportunities | Opportunity Teams | Opportunity Splits
- Select “Enable Opportunity Splits” check-box
- Now Select Type of Split you want to enable for your organization, doing so presents you with a few options and one big yellow box. These boxes and warnings like this usually are important. Make sure you read this before proceeding. You can take help from below Screenshot
- Click on Save and it will redirect you to next page where you can Add Opportunity Splits related list to Opportunity page layout
- Click on Save
- Once it’s enable you will get an email from Salesforce.com, something like below screen shot
It’s time to test this feature
To test this feature follow the below instructions
1) Add Opportunity Team Members:- To add Opportunity team Members follow the below instruction
- Go to Opportunity record detail page, Navigate to Opportunity Team related list and click on to Add button to add Opportunity team member
- Add Opportunity Team members (as per your requirement), Assign role and Grant access on opportunity as shown in below screen shot
Note :- Once your team is set up, you can edit the existing split that automatically attributed all of the revenue to the Opportunity Owner:
2) Edit Opportunity splits:- To edit Opportunity splits follow the below instruction
- Navigate to Opportunity Splits related list available on Opportunity detail page and click on Add Opportunity Splits button
- Now you can Add Each Opportunity Team Members on the left and enter the appropriate percent. The Amount will automatically calculate for you based on the opportunity amount. Same like below Screen shot
- Click on Save
Points to be remember
- The opportunity owner is included on each opportunity team, and since the Opportunity Owner role is essential for splits,you cannot remove it.
- Newly created opportunity split records include a default opportunity team member for the owner, who receives 100% of revenue splits until you have defined otherwise.
- You can’t remove a team member assigned to a split from an opportunity.
- You can split Opportunity revenue (Revenue Split) among Opportunity team member those are already Added to that Opportunity.
After Spring’14 release you can quickly configure and edit splits with a visual workflow. Opportunity Splits now include a streamlined workflow that visually walks you through the setup process.
After splits are enabled, you can make the splits workflow faster for users as well, letting them add team members while editing split amounts and from one click you can disable Opportunity Split. It means you can add add any user in Opportunity splits Salesforce will automatically add those user under Opportunity team.