Big Idea or Enduring Question:
How can users automatically follow records when the records meet specific criteria?
Within Salesforce, users can Follow and Unfollow records by clicking on the Follow icon on the record’s Detail page. If you want to automate the Follow/Unfollow process based on some criteria, then you have to use an AppExchange App or build your own app by using Apex code.
In this article, I will show how you can build this type of functionality without using any code. This is the first article in this series where I will discuss how to automatically follow records. In the next article, I will discuss how to automatically unfollow records.
This blog post will help us to understand the following:
- Learn about Entity Subscription and how to use it
- Create a Record-Triggered Flow to automatically follow records based on criteria
- Learn how to use a Decision element to find whether a Record variable or a Record collection variable contains a record
- Find out how to use the Loop element to extract records from a record collect
- And, last but not least, discover how to use the Create Records element to create multiple records (add followers to record) at once (Bulk Safe)
Business Use Case
Brenda David is working as a System administrator at Universal Containers (UC). As a part of the Salesforce adoption process, management wants to provide a tool to their employees so that they can define the criteria to auto-follow the opportunity record.
Automation Champion Approach (I-do):
There are a few possible solutions for the above business scenario, but I’ll use After-save Record-Triggered Flow to solve the business requirement.
Check out this article to understand why we are using after-save record-triggered flow for this scenario.
|ParentId||The Id of the record or user which the user is following.|
|SubscriberId||The Id of the user who is following the record or user.|
Before discussing the solution, let me show you a diagram of a Process Flow at a high level. Please spend a few minutes going through the following Flow diagram and understand it. Let’s begin building this automation process.