These days’ customers expect fast replies and quick resolutions. With Live Agent web chat, you can give them quicker responses to their queries, at a minimal price to you. Live Agent provide users the ability to interact with the agents through web chat to get more information about specific product or queries. In this article i will go through how setup Live Agent and various concepts related to it. This feature is available at Developer and Performance editions organizations created after June 14, 2012 and for Enterprise and Unlimited Editions it’s available with an additional cost.
Enable live agent for your organization
To enable Live agent follow the below instructions
- Click on Name | Setup | App Setup | Customize | Live agent | Settings
- Click on Enable Live Agent check-box as shown in below screen shot
Objects related to live agent
As soon as you enable this feature few object auto created for your organization, those are
Live Chat Visitors – The Live Chat Visitor tab contains information about visitors that have participated in chat sessions. Below you can see sample live chat visitor record
Live Chat Transcripts :- The Live Chat Transcripts tab contains the transcripts of completed chat sessions. Below you can see sample live chat transcript record
Live Chat Transcript Events:- Contain all information that contains chat request, accept request or route details and Visitor Left. Below you can see sample live chat transcript event record
Live Agent Sessions:- This Live Agent Sessions tab contains information about agent session, time spent online , time spent on chat etc. Below you can see sample live chat session record
Live Agent Supervisor :-This tab contains information about your department’s chat buttons and chat agents, all in one place. It will look like below screen shot
Live Agent :- This tab contains information about Chat transcript and from here you can launch live agent console.
Quick Text :- Quick Text lets users create standard messages, such as greetings and answers to common questions, which support agents can easily insert into communications with customers. Quick Text is automatically enabled for organizations that have enabled Live Agent. If you want to create quick text click on Quick text (Tab) | New and fill the details as per your choice, you can take help from below screen shot
Setting up live agent users
As soon as you enable live agent for your organization, next step is create user or grant existing user to required permission so they can work as live agent. To do that go to user record and select live agent user (feature licenses) check-box as shown in below screen shot
Note:- Live Agent users require API Enabled administrative permission on profile. Agents also need at least the “Read” permission on Live Chat Visitors and Live Chat Transcripts to review visitor and transcript records.
Enable skills and assign them to users
Skills classify the abilities of agents based on that you can route requests to the right set of agents. For example, if your support center handles both technical and non-technical issues, you would create separate “Technical” and “Non-technical” skills, and assign agents accordingly. Then, when a query comes in that requires technical expertise, Salesforce routes the request to those agents in the “Technical” skill set only. To create Skills follow the below instructions
- Click on Name | Setup | App Setup | Customize | Live agent | Skills
- Click on New button, it will redirect you to a new page from where you can create new skills
- Enter Name, Users and Profile that have this skill then click on Save ,as shown in below screen shot
Chat Buttons and Automated Invitations
- Click on Name | Setup | App Setup | Customize | Live agent | Chat buttons and Automated Invitations
- Click on New button, it will redirect you to a new page from where you to fill all required details to create new chat button
- As soon as you click on Save you will get Chat button code, copy this code in notepad. It will look like below screen shot
To create deployment follow the below instructions
- Click on Name | Setup | App Setup | Customize | Live Agent | Deployments
- Click on New button, and fill all required details as shown in below screen shot
- Click on Save, Salesforce will give you deployment code, it will look like below screen shot
Create a HTML page with “Chat Buttons” and “Deployments” code
First paste Chat button code then Deployment code add HTML tag into notepad, for best performance, paste the code right before the closing body tag (that is, </body>). replace the Online Chat Content and Offline Chat Content comments from Chat button code, below screen shot refer sample HTML page you can take reference from here
It’s time to test this feature
Launch the Live agent console by navigating to account tab and click on live agent console, as shown in below screen shot
As soon as you launch it will open live agent console for you. Now open HTML page created by you and Click the link to chat with the Live Agent and you will get below screen
On the live agent side accept the invitation to chat with the user, same like below screen shot
In below screen you can see conversation between live agent and user
Note:- You can also use Live agent in Salesforce console or in the Force.com site.
In Spring’14 release Salesforce introduce few new feature related to live agent, that are followings
1) Transfer Files During a Chat—Pilot –->Give Live Agent customers the ability to upload and transfer files to agents during a chat so they can easily share important information without leaving their chat window.
2) Supervisor Tab Available in Salesforce Console –> Add the Supervisor tab to the Salesforce console to give your Live Agent supervisors easy access to information about their agent’s activities without disrupting supervisors’ workflow.
3) Attach Records to Chat Transcripts –> Search for existing records or create new ones to attach to a transcript when you chat with Live Agent customers in the Salesforce console, giving you easy access to information related to the chat.