Last Updated on October 28, 2021 by Rakesh Gupta
Salesforce allow your users to send email messages to Chatter Group email address to create Chatter posts. It’s doesn’t require your Salesforce credentials. You can can only email your posts to Chatter groups that you have access to.
Also, users are able to reply to Chatter email notifications and add new comment to an existing Chatter thread. Email notifications have a ‘reply to this post’ reminder at the bottom.
I have written a few articles on Chatter. Why not check them out while you are at it?!
- Post Announcements in Chatter Groups
- Customize Branding for Chatter Email Notifications
- Archived Groups in Chatter
Business Use Case
Sometimes if you running out of time and want to share some important information with your team then you can use this feature. It will save your few minutes (Otherwise you have to open an URL, enter user name and password then verification is done -If applicable ) after successful attempt you can be able to login into Salesforce.
Enable Allow Posts via Email on Chatter
This feature available in Essentials, Group, Professional, Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, Contact Manager, and Developer Editions. To enable allow posts via email on Chatter in lightning experience perform the steps below:
- Click on Setup | Feature Settings | Chatter | Email Settings.
- Select Allow Posts via Email to allow users to post to groups using email.
- Select Allow Attachments via Email to allow users to send attachments via email.
- Select Allow Email Replies to allow users to reply from their email client whenever they get an email notification related to group activity.
- Click Save.
Remember –> If your admin has enabled this feature, you can email your posts to any public group. You can email posts to a private group only if you’re a member. You must use the email address associated with your Salesforce user account.
Proof of Concept
- Go to any Chatter group’s page and grab the group email address.
- Send email message to the above email address to create a chatter post.
- It will be posted in the Chatter Group.
- Note:-The email content displays as a post on the group detail page. Any hashtags you include in the email body (for example, #Summer22) are converted to topics on the post.
- Group members subscribed to email notification, they can be able to reply from their email client.
- It will update on Chatter group post as a comment.
Things to Remember
The following limitations apply to posting to a group using email
- The 5,000 character limit for Chatter posts applies to posts created using email. Any text in your email beyond this limit is not included in the post.
- The email subject and any attachments are not included in the post.
- You can create text posts using email and include links in the text. You can’t mention people, attach files, create polls,or give titles to links when posting to a group by email.
- Character-level formatting, such as the use of bold or different type sizes, is not supported.
- If two user’s in a org have same email address and one of the user try to use this feature they will get an error like below screen shot.
I want to hear from you!
What did you learn from this post, is it relevant to you, and how will you modify the concepts taught in the post for your own business processes?
Make a post and tag me on Twitter @automationchamp using #AutomationChampionFlow.
8 thoughts on “Use Email to Post to Chatter Groups”
Nice post. I didn’t understand from point 4. It looks like you can send the post from Salesforce to a member of a Chatter group. Is that really possible?. If so, can you explain in details where is the feature in order to email a post to another member of the group? I couldn’t follow what you did and how you did it at point 4.
It is very nice blog. I am also able to post the content to chatter by sending an email to chatter group by using mail box directly.
Can I achieve the same by sending an email to chatter group through apex code? Because my requirement is that I always want to post my content in production’s chatter no matter I am on INT, QA or UAT.
Mail sending logic will reside in apex class and this class will be a scheduled class. This class will be available on INT, QA and UAT orgs and Production also. This class will always send an email to the production’s chatter group and hence content will always get posted to the Production’s chatter. Is it possible to achieve the same by using apex code?
Thanks in Advance!
Sorry, as per my understanding it’s not possible.
Another limitation is that if you are emailing from a mailbox with an alias or a redirected email address, Salesforce will not accept the incoming email
Totally Agree with you on this point.
Great post. I will be recommending your blog to many friends. Keept the good work!!!
Thanks for your comment. 🙂