Last Updated on November 12, 2017 by Rakesh Gupta
After Spring’14 release you can be able to post in Chatter Group Directly from your mail inbox. It’s doesnot require your Salesforce credentials. You can can only email your posts to Chatter groups that you have access to.
Use case:- Sometimes if you running out of time and want to share some important information with your team then you can use this feature. It will save your few minutes (Otherwise you have to open an URL, enter user name and password then verification is done -If applicable ) after successful attempt you can be able to login into Salesforce.
Configure email to post to Chatter Groups for your organization
This feature available in Developer, Performance, Enterprise, Professional, Contact Manager, Group and Unlimited editions. To configure it follow the below steps
1) Click on Name | Setup | App Setup | Customize | Chatter | Email Settings.
2) Select “Allow Posts via Email” check box from “General Settings” section, also select checkbox “Allow Email Replies” so you can able to reply from your local email client when ever you will get any notification related to group activity.
3) Click on Save.
Note:- If your admin has enabled this feature, you can email your posts to any public group. You can email posts to a private group only if you’re a member. You must use the email address associated with your Salesforce user account.
Now it’s time to test it
1) Go to any group detail page, click “Post by email” below the group description to launch a blank email to the group from your local email client Same email address that you are using in Salesforce). Save the group’s email address as a contact in your mail client or mobile device for easy access in the future
2) Type your message in the email body and send the email ( Here I am sending mail from Test User’s email client)
3) It will be posted in “Chatter group“.
Note:-The email content displays as a post on the group detail page. Any hashtags you include in the email body (for example, #Spring14) are converted to topics on the post.
4) If some other members are subscribed to email notification, they can be able to reply from their local email client.
5) It will update in Chatter group post as a comment.
Limitations:- The following limitations apply to posting to a group using email
- The 5,000character limit for Chatter posts applies to posts created using email. Any text in your email beyond this limit is not included in the post.
- The email subject and any attachments are not included in the post.
- You can create text posts using email and include links in the text. You can’t mention people, attach files, create polls,or give titles to links when posting to a group by email.
- Character-level formatting, such as the use of bold or different type sizes, is not supported.
- If two user’s in a org have same email address and one of the user try to use this feature they will get an error like below screen shot.