Last Updated on November 12, 2017 by Rakesh Gupta
In Salesforce Spring’14 release Salesforce introduce Data Import wizard, that’s provides a unified interface that lets you import data for a number of standard Salesforce objects, including accounts, contacts, leads, and solutions. The wizard also lets you import data for custom objects.You don’t have to pick and choose between different wizards in Setup anymore. Now you can do it all in one place. This feature available in Developer, Performance, Enterprise, Professional, Contact Manager, Group and Unlimited editions except Database.com.
Note :- The separate import wizards for accounts, contacts, leads, solutions, and custom objects are still available.
Difference between Existing Wizard and Data Import Wizard
Below are the list down major difference between existing wizard and Data Import Wizard.
|Features||Existing Wizard||Data Import Wizard|
|Processing Method||Direct database calls. Processing is immediate.||Bulk API calls. Processing
might be delayed.
|Enablement||Auto enabled for all organizations||Auto enabled for all organizations|
|Insert new records; ignore matched records (no update)||Supported in all wizards||Not Supported|
|Update existing matched records; ignore unmatched
records (no insert)
|Supported in Solutions and
Custom Objects wizards
|CSV file validation before import||Supported||Not Supported|
Prepare CSV file that you want to upload
Here we will update Account Name for three accounts, so I created a CSV. the file look like the below image.
How to use Data Import Wizard
To use Data Import Wizard, follow the instructions below:
1) Click on Name | Setup | Administration Setup | Data Management | Data Import Wizard.
2) Click on Launch Wizard!” button.
3) It will redirect you to a new page, Where you have to choose the Type of object data you want to import (In our case it’s account object). In the image, you can see the progress bar also moving as you selected the object.
4) Next is select “What do you want to do?“, In our case click on Update existing records” and select the matched by Salesforce ID. Take help from below Screenshot
5) choose a source file (You can drag and drop a file or browse ) for your data and Click on Next button.
6) Map the fields that need to be mapped, To map the field click on “Map” link, it will populate a window where you can map field (You can map one field with more than one fields). In our case mapping look like below screenshot. Once you are done with mapping click on the Next” button.
7) It will redirect you to “Review & Start Import” screen, If you are good to go ahead then click on “Start Import” button. This Screen will show all details about mapped fields and unmapped fields.
8) Once it’s successfully completed you will get, Pop up with Success message something like below screenshot.
Data Import Completed you will also get an Email from Salesforce with Success and failure details.
9) Once you click on “OK” button on Success message it will redirect you to a “Bulk Data Load Job” window, where you can able to find all details about last data Import.
Verify the outcome
To verify account name, go to Account tab and check as you want. Below is the screen shot for my case it’s updated as we used in csv file.
If you like this blog or you have a question please leave your comments, I’ll try to answer it. Thanks for your time to read my article.