*This article is based on my findings, not based on any documentation (it includes few hidden gems like, how you can add colors to help text, label, etc.)
* Make sure to subscribe to my blog – for, in the next few weeks, I am going to post 10-15 articles explaining new Lightning Flow Designer.
Lightning Flow (Formerly known as Visual Workflow) is one of the most powerful tools provided by Salesforce to implement business automation declaratively – i.e., using a drag and drop tool. Before we dig further, it is very important for everyone to understand three flow terminologies as mentioned below:
- Lightning Flow: Lightning Flow (Formerly known as Visual Workflow) encompasses building, managing, and running flows and processes.
- Lightning Flow Designer: Lightning Flow Designer (Formerly known as Cloud Flow Designer) is a tool to create flows, configure screens, and define business logic for your flows without writing a single line of code. This article is all about the new Lightning Flow Designer.
- Flow: A flow is an application that can interact with the Salesforce database, execute logic, call Apex classes, and collect data from users. You can build flows by using the new Lightning Flow Designer.
I started building flows in 2014 – yeah, it has been almost 5 years. I learned the tool by experimenting. Subsequently, I published a book on the topic! Below are the links to buy the book:
Until today, we were using Cloud Flow Designer to building flows. Starting with Spring’19 release, that is going to change. A better, faster and easier – Lightning Flow Designer is going to replace the existing Cloud Flow Designer.
What does it mean to YOU?
Don’t panic, nothing is going to change in terms of how it works today. We are going to get a new Flow Designer (i.e. Lightning Flow Designer) which is better in many aspects from existing Cloud Flow Designer.
Now you may be wondering – on the one hand, I say nothing is going to change; and yet, on the other hand, I say change is coming with Spring’19 release. So, what is going on?
If you spent a few minutes reading the aforementioned three flow terminology, you will know the answer. Still not sure? Well, let me explain. Salesforce.com, Inc is going to change the way you design the flow; but, the underlying Architecture will remain the same. Lightning Flow Designer brings with it following advantages:
- Adobe Flash player installation will not be needed anymore to use Flow designer
- Familiar flow elements remain – making learning easier and faster
- Several new components are available for Screen element
- Faster than existing Cloud Flow Designer
- A simplified toolbox to make it easier to find components you are looking for
How to Disable Lightning Flow Designer?
After Spring’19 release Salesforce.com, Inc is going to auto-enable Lightning Flow Designer for your Org. Want a Read the rest of this entry!