Process Builder in Salesforce is a fantastic way to automate various business processes. It allows you to create a process, and based on certain criteria that you set, Salesforce can do a number of things, for example, Create a record, Update records, Post to Chatter, Send an email, etc. In this blog post, I will walk through setting up a process to send out an email alert. Let’s start with a business use case
Business Use case: – Warren Mason is working as System administrator in Universal Container. His next assignment is to create a process to send out a welcome email to new users.
Solution of above business requirement
There are few solutions possible for the above business scenario, but we’ll use Process Builder to solve it. You can quickly send an email from a process by using Send an email action. Email alerts are configured outside of the Process Builder and contain the standard text, list of recipients, and template for an email. To send an email from a process, you must create the email alert. You can use only email alerts those are associated with the same object that the process is associated with. Follow the below instructions to create a Process to solve the above business requirement
1. First of all, create an Email template. To do this, navigate to Setup | Administer | Communication Templates | Email Templates, click on the New Template button and choose the type of template you want to create. In this case select Custom HTML (without using Letterhead). The following screenshot shows a sample email template
2. The next step is to create an Email alert on the user object. To do this, navigate to Setup | Build | Create | Workflow & Approvals | Email Alerts, click on the New Email Alert button and enter the details as shown in the following screenshot
3. The final step to create a process on the User object to send out a welcome email to the new users. Click on Name | Setup | App Setup | Create | Workflows & Approvals | Process Builder and click on the New button, Enter Name, API Name and then click on the Save button
4. The next step is to add entry criteria. For this click on Add Object, select User object and for the entry criteria, Select only when a record is created, as shown in the below screenshot, once you are done click on the Save button
5. The next task is to add Process Criteria, To do this click on Add Criteria, enter Name, Type of action and set filter conditions (In this case set [User].IsActive Equals True) and click on the Save button, as shown in the following screenshot
6. The next step is to add an Immediate action to Process. Click on Add Action (Under Immediate actions), Select the type of action to create (In our case select Email Alert), and then fill out the fields to define the action, as shown in the following screenshot
To select Email Alert, type two or more letters to search for the email alert that you want to use to send an email.
7. Once you are done, click on the Save button, it will redirect you to Process canvas. Finally, the Process will look like the following screenshot
Don’t forget to active the Process by clicking on the Activate button.
Proof of concept
To test the above process creates a new user and check out your mailbox.
Note: – I will suggest you to implement this first on your developer org test it and then move it to Production.