Last Updated on March 21, 2022 by Rakesh Gupta
Some time you want to share the Dashboard with other users, but due to business constraint you can’t give users to dashboard access nor add him/her to the schedule dashboard list. The best option is to post a snapshot of a dashboard component to a Chatter feed in order to help other users follow changes in the data.
A snapshot is a static image of a dashboard component at a specific point in time posted to a Chatter feed. Today we will go through the steps how to post dashboard snapshot to a Chatter user or Group. This feature is available in Developer, Performance, Enterprise, Professional, Contact Manager, Group, and Unlimited editions.
Business Use Case
In your organization Their is a user named as Sarika Gupta (Profile:- Chatter Free User and License Type :- Chatter Free) and you want to share dashboard with this user.
Guided Practice (We-do):
- If you want to share a dashboard to Chatter Free User by giving access to folder. You can’t Share report or Dashboard folder with Chatter Free User because they don’t have Report and dashboard access. You can’t include this type of user into Schedule a dashboard refresh but you can include Salesforce licensed users so they will get email notification with dashboard snap shot. In our case this solution won’t work.
- You can post dashboard snapshots to Chatter.
Enable Dashboard Component Snapshots
First of all you have to enable Chatter Feed Tracking for dashboard. To enable feed tracking for dashboard follow the below steps
- Click on Setup | Feature Settings | Chatter | Feed Tracking.
- Click on Dashboard object, enable it and select all four fields, Same like below screenshot
- Click Save.
- The next step to enable Enable Dashboard Component Snapshots.
- Click on Setup | Feature Settings | Analytics | Reports & Dashboards | Reports and Dashboards Settings
- Select Enable Dashboard Component Snapshots checkbox
- Click Save.
Proof of Concept
- Click on Dashboard Tab, and select the dashboard you want to share
- Hover over a component and expand the chart, as shown in the following screenshot:
- Click on Share Component, as shown in the following image
- Salesforce will auto upload the dashboard snapshot in chatter post.
- Now add user or group name, then write a comment.
- Once done, click on Share.
- The snapshot and comment immediately appear in the dashboard feed.
Note :- Snapshot images display in feeds for four months. After four months, only the comments remain.
I want to hear from you!
What is one thing you learned from this post? How do you envision applying this new knowledge in the real world? Feel free to share in the comments below.