Big Idea or Enduring Question:
How do you provide a way to clone Chatter group with members to your users?
Chatter Group is primarily geared towards boosting collaboration among users within an organization. Similar to a public group, a Chatter group comprises a set of users. Indeed, one can add unlimited users to a Chatter Group.
Some time you or users want to quickly create a Chatter group by cloning an existing Chatter Group. There are a few apps available on AppExchange for this purpose, but nothing comes out of the box. This article will create a screen flow that allows users to quickly create a Chatter group by cloning an existing Chatter group.
I have written a few articles on automating Chatter Group and automation. Why not check them out while you are at it?!
- Getting Started with Salesforce Flow – Part 26 (Automatically Add a Record to Chatter Group)
- Getting Started with Salesforce Flow – Part 34 (Post Opportunity Details to a Chatter Group)
- Getting Started with Salesforce Flow – Part 46 (Is Your Chatter Group Data Clean? No? Use Flow to Do So!)
- Getting Started with Process Builder – Part 18 (Auto Creates a Private Chatter Group )
- Getting Started with Process Builder – Part 24 (Automatically Add User to Chatter Group)
- Getting Started with Process Builder – Part 82 (Recipes for Automating Chatter Group Management)
- Getting Started with Process Builder – Part 92 (Streamline the Process of Auto-Adding Chatter Group Members to Public Group!)
This blog post will help us to understand the following
- Use a Screen a flow to take the user input to create a Chatter Group
- Learn how to work with the picklist component (Screen Flow)
- Learn how to use a Decision element to find whether a Record variable or a Record collection variable contains a record
- Find out how to use the Loop element to extract records from a record collection variable.
- And, last but not least, discover how to use the Create Records element to create multiple records (add user to new chatter group) at once (Bulk Safe)
Business Use Case
Brenda David is working as a System administrator at Universal Containers (UC). She has received a requirement from the management to create a wizard that allows users to create a Chatter Group with members by cloning them quickly.
Automation Champion Approach (I-do):
- Lightning Web Component
- Apex Code
- Data Loader
- AppExchange App
We will use Salesforce Flow to solve it.
|CollaborationGroupId||ID of the associated CollaborationGroup|
|MemberId||ID of the group member|
|NotificationFrequency||The frequency at which Salesforce sends Chatter group email digests to this member. Can only be set by the member or users with the Modify All Data permission. The valid values are:
Before discussing the solution, let me show you a diagram of a Process Flow at a high level. Please spend a few minutes to go through the following Flow diagram and understand it.
Let’s begin building this automation process.