The Lightning Component modern framework is a User Interface framework to develop dynamic web apps for mobile and desktop devices. As is the case with each release, the latest Winter’20‘ release is packed with rich features including, the newly added Lightning Component features!
Currently, Winter’20 release is available under the pre-release program. On the 6th and 7th of September, Sandboxes will be upgraded, as a result, your organization will get the look and feel of Winter’20 release.
In case you have not read the entire 540 pages of Salesforce Winter’20 release notes, check out Winter’20 release quick summary and the Top 10 Lightning Experience Gems of Salesforce Winter’20 Release! written by me.
I combed through the release notes and highlighted the added capabilities to the Lightning Component features. Believe me, it was hard to stop at just five! To kick things off, here is my take on the coolest Lightning Component features from Winter’20 release.
1. Add Lightning Web Components as Custom Tabs:- Make a Lightning web component available as a custom tab in a Lightning Experience app and in the Salesforce app. Perform the following steps to add a custom tab for Lightning Web component:
- Add the lightning__Tab target to the component’s configuration file. The .js-meta.xml configuration file defines the metadata values for the component, including the setting to allow usage in a custom tab.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <LightningComponentBundle xmlns="http://soap.sforce.com/2006/04/metadata"> <targets> <target>lightning__Tab</target> </targets> </LightningComponentBundle>
- Create a custom tab for this component.
- To display the component in a custom tab:
- For a Lightning Experience app, add the component to the App Launcher.
- For the Salesforce mobile app, add the component to the Salesforce app navigation menu. Read the rest of this entry!