Big Idea or Enduring Question:
How do you automatically create a new opportunity by cloning an existing opportunity with line items?
Opportunities are the sales and pending deals that you want to track. By adding opportunities, we are building a pipeline, which contributes to sales forecasts. Products are a catalog of items that your company can sell. An Opportunity Product is a specific item or service that is purchased and delivered to the client as it relates to that specific opportunity.
The Opportunity Line Item is also known as Opportunity Product in the user interface. Many organizations are using the opportunity for renewal business of assets, and software. There are no out of box features that allow you to auto-generate renewal opportunities based on the close date of a current opportunity or once an opportunity is successfully closed-won.
After reading this article, the reader will be able to:
- Using Process Builder to auto-generate renewal Opportunity
- How to use get the element to find the old record details
- How to use a Decision element to find – record variable or record collection variable contains a record or not
- How to work with Loop elements to create multiple records (or clone records)
Business Use case
Steven Greene is working as a System administrator at Universal Containers (UC). He received a requirement from the management to auto-create/generate a new opportunity with opportunity line items once an opportunity is closed won. Use the following logic to set the close date of the renewal opportunity
- Close Date (Renewal opportunity) = Close date (Closed won opportunity) + 365
Automation Champion Approach (I-do):
There are a few possible solutions for the above business scenario, but I’ll use Process Builder and Flow to solve the business requirement. Before proceeding ahead, you have to understand OpportunityLineItem objects in Salesforce.
- OpportunityLineItem represents an opportunity line item, which is a member of the list of Product2 products associated with an Opportunity.