Chatter Group is one of the great ways to boost collaboration in your organization. A Chatter group represents a group of users – one can add unlimited members to a Chatter Group, but a user can join a maximum of 100 Groups.
Below are few tasks, related to Chatter group membership, that can be automated to enhance productivity.
- Send email notification to group owner or managers when someone joins a Chatter Group
- Send email notification to group owner or managers when someone leaves a Chatter Group
- Auto update new member’s email frequency for a Chatter Group
- Promote a user to Chatter group manager if he belongs to a specific Role
Until now, it was necessary to write Apex code to manage the aforementioned task. Since Spring’18 release, however, it is now possible to manage these task with the help of Flow and Process Builder. Let us see how to get started on working smarter by tackling a business use case.
Business Use Case
Martin Jones is working as a System Administrator at Gurukul on Cloud (GoC). At GoC they use Chatter extensively to collaborate internally. Martin has received three requirements from the upper management:
- When someone joins ‘GoC Awesome People’ Public Chatter group, set their email frequency to – Email on Each Post.
- Notify group owner when someone joins the Group.
- When a user joins GoC Awesome People Group, and he/she belongs to ’Customer Support, International’ role, automatically promote him/her to the group manager.
A solution for the above business requirement
There are a few possible solutions for the above business scenario, but we’ll use Flow and Process Builder to solve the above business requirement. Before trying to understand the technical aspect of the solution, let us spend some time to understand the general flow at a high level. Please spend few minutes to go through the following flow diagram and understand it.
Before we proceed further, let us understand the characteristics of CollaborationGroupMember – It represents a member of a Chatter group.