Salesforce File Sync makes file management easier than ever. Your users install a desktop client called Salesforce Files. They can then securely store, sync, and share files between Chatter, their desktops, and mobile devices. After Summer’14 release this feature are generally available in Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions. Follow the below steps to enable Salesforce file sync for your organization and make it available for users
Enable Salesforce Files Sync in Your Organization
To enable Salesforce File Sync to allow users to sync files between their devices and Salesforce, follow the below instructions
1) Click on Name | Setup | App Setup | Customize | Chatter | Settings
2) Navigate to File Sync section and select Allow File Sync check-box as shown in the below screenshot
3) Click on Save.
Grant Users Access to Salesforce Files Sync
After enabling Salesforce File Sync for your organization, next task is grant your users access by either creating and assigning a permission set or by granting permission on profile. In this demo I will create new permission set and assign it user. To grant Salesforce file sync access to users follow the below instructions
1) Click on Name | Setup | Administration Setup | Manage Users | Permission Sets
2) Click on New button and it will redirect you to new window where you have to fill few details to create new permission set as shown in the below screenshot
Note:- Select a user license option. If you plan to assign this permission set to users with both Salesforce and Chatter Only licenses, select “None”.
3) Navigate to System section and click on System Permissions, At the top of the System Permissions page, click on Edit button
4) Under System Permissions, select Sync Files check-box as shown in the below screenshot
5) Click on Save.
Changes to the Files Tab with Salesforce Files Sync Enabled
After enabling Salesforce File Sync for your organization, you and your users will notice some changes on the Files tab in Chatter. With Salesforce Files Sync enabled, the Files tab gains two new features, as shown in the below screen shot
- New filter names :- Filter the files list by recent, owned, shared, followed, and synced files. The new Synced filter shows the files in your Salesforce Files folder. From the Synced filter, users can search, preview, follow, share, and upload new versions of their synced files.
- Salesforce Files client download :- One-click access to download the desktop client.
Note:- Users who have the “Sync Files” permission see the new filter names. Users without this permission continue to see their existing filter names.
Install the Salesforce Files Client
Users can install the Salesforce Files client so they can sync files between their desktop, Chatter, and mobile devices. The Salesforce Files client is supported on Microsoft® Windows® 7 and Apple® OS X 10.7. To download and install Salesforce Files follow the below instructions
1) Click on Name | Setup | Personal Setup | Manage Users | Desktop Integration | Salesforce Files
2) Click on Download as shown in the below screenshot
3) Follow the installation instructions for your operating system.
4) Log in with your Salesforce credentials.
5) On the next window click on Allow button authenticate Salesforce Files as shown in the below screenshot
Ways to Share Synced Files
Share Synced files with People and Groups on Chatter, or with anyone outside your organization via a Generated link. Share them directly from the Salesforce Files Folder on your desktop, the Files tab in Chatter, or your mobile device with Salesforce1. If you share a file with a person or group with Collaborator rights, then when collaborators download, edit, and upload a new version of the file, you’ll get the latest version automatically synced. When you edit and sync a new version of the file, the people and groups you’ve shared with will automatically get the latest version on Chatter. In this demo I will share file from Salesforce Files Folder on my desktop to Chatter File. To do this copy file into Salesforce Files Folder that you want to share on Chatter, you can take help from below screenshot
Navigate to File tab and check file you uploaded through Salesforce File Client.
Share Synced Files Directly from the Salesforce Files Client
Synced files can be shared from inside the Salesforce Files Folder
1) On your desktop, in your Salesforce Files folder, right-click the file you want to share.
2) Choose a menu option under Salesforce Files: share with people in your organization, with Chatter groups, or with people outside your organization via link.
3) When prompted, enter the names of the people or groups in your organization and an optional message to share the file with them. If you’re sharing the file via link, copy the link.
Synced Files Directly from the Salesforce
If you want to sync file that you posted on Chatter feed then use the Sync icon as soon in the below screenshot
limits when using the Salesforce Files Client
- The maximum amount of data that individual users can sync in their Salesforce Files folder is 10 GB. If the folder reaches this limit, new files won’t sync until other files are removed from the folder.
- The maximum file size that can be uploaded using the Salesforce Files folder is 500 MB.
- The maximum number of versions per file is 2048.
- The Maximum number of users who can sync the same file simultaneously is 1000 users.
- The Maximum number of synced files and folders :- Users can sync up to a combined total of 2000 files and folders but not more than 500 folders at once. For example, users can sync 1,700 files and 300 folders, or 2,000 files, but not 300 files and 1,700 folders.