The Lightning Component modern framework is a User Interface framework to develop dynamic web apps for mobile and desktop devices. As is the case with each release, the latest Summer‘18 release is packed with rich features including, the newly added Lightning Component features!
Currently, Summer’18 release is available under the pre-release program. On the 4th and 5th of May, Sandboxes will be upgraded; as a result, your organization will get the look and feel of Summer’18 release.
If you have not read the entire 476 pages of Salesforce Summer’18 release notes yet, check out Summer’18 release quick summary and, the Top 10 Lightning Experience Gems of Salesforce Summer’18 Release! written by me.
I combed through the release notes and highlighted the added capabilities to the Lightning Component features. Believe me, it was hard to stop at just five! To kick things off, here is my take on the coolest Lightning Component features from Summer’18 release.
1) Build Exciting User Interfaces with New Base Lightning Components:- Now you can accelerate your development with a fresh medley of new built-in Lightning components. The new components cover a broad range of user interface elements and give you a whole new tool bag for your development. Following are few of the new component features. Please note that these features require API version 43.0 or later.
a) lightning:insertImageButton: – It will open the native file browser so that you can select an image to upload and inserts the image inline in the text area.
b) lightning:navigation: – It generates a URL for the given pageReference object, which describes a page’s type, attributes, and state.
c) lightning:recordForm: – Streamlines creating a form to add, view, or update a record. This component makes it easier to create record forms than building them manually with lightning:recordEditForm and lightning:recordViewForm. Set the mode attribute to view, edit, or readonly to specify the type of form.
3) Lightning Component Library Is Generally Available:- Tired of switching back and forth between the Developer Guide and the Component Library? Now, there is one single source of truth for reference documentation. Find the documentation you need for components, interfaces, and events in the Component Library. The Component Library is available as an authenticated experience at https://<myDomain>.lightning.force.com/componentReference/suite.app, where <myDomain> is the name of your custom Salesforce domain.
- Returning an object that contains a blob object, such as ContentNote
- Returning the results of a SOQL query that references a blob field
- Returning an Apex object containing a field of type Blob
In all cases, the value returned is the string describing its size.
5) Lightning Navigation APIs for Lightning Components:- With the lightning:isUrlAddressable interface, you now control which Lightning components can be opened programmatically. You can also now easily capture URL parameters using the v.PageReference attribute and use the parameter values in your component. With the lightning:navigation component, define a pageReference object for navigating to a custom component that implements lightning:isUrlAddressable and set any attributes the component allows.
What are your favorite Summer’18 release note gems?