Email-to-Case allows you to create a Case automatically when a customer emails in. It also populates some key information automatically, for example, the email subject becomes the Case Subject, and the email body mapped to the Case Description. You can configure multiple Email-to-Case channels based on your business use case.
Business Use Case: – Pamela Kline is working as System administrator at Universal Container. She has just implemented email-to-Case for Universal Container. Now she has received the following enhancements from support agent
- Automatically add customer response to the case email thread, when the customer replies to the email that has been sent from a case.
- Re-open a case when the customer responds to support agent email, within five days of case closure.
Business use case 1 solution
First of all, you have to understand Thread ID. Thread ID is a unique ID generated for outbound emails within the case. The thread ID will look like ref:_00D90wAtk._500901Kc5WN:re. To automatically add customer response to the case email thread, make sure that Email-to-Case has been configured correctly for customer email responses to be attached to the case.
- Email Threading is an important part of Email-to-Case setup. Setting this up essentially means that, if a customer emails you more information about an existing Case, their second email will be attached to their existing Case instead of creating a new Case. If you want to auto add a unique Thread ID into your auto-responses and other outgoing emails, then navigate to Setup | Build | Customize | Cases | Email-to-Case and select the check-boxes as shown in the following screenshot
- When you are replying to a customer make sure to change the address from the Owner to the Email to Case support address. If this is not changed, then the response from the customer will be sent to the owner of the case and will not be added to the Email Thread. Follow the below steps to add Email-to-Case support address to from address (Basically we are going to add Email-to-Case support address to Organization-Wide Addresses
1. Copy the Email Services Address (i.e. Long email address) from Email-to-Case as shown in the following screenshot
2. The next step is to add a new Organization-Wide Email Addresses. Use Email Services Address (Long address) in place of Email Address, as shown in the following screenshot
For verification purpose, Salesforce will send an email notification with a confirmation link to the above-mentioned email address.
3. As we are using Email-to-Case routing address, it will automatically create a case in your org, from where you can verify the ownership of email address.
Click on the link mentioned under description to verify the Organization-Wide Address. After successful verification, you can use Email-to-Case Support address to send out an email from Salesforce
Business use case 2 solution
There are few possible solutions for the above business scenario, but we will use the Process Builder to solve it. Follow the below instructions to create a Process for the above business requirement
1. Click on Name | Setup | App Setup | Create | Workflows & Approvals | Process Builder and click on the New button, Enter Name, API Name and then click on the Save button.
2. The next step is to add entry criteria. For this click on Add Object, select Email Message object and for the entry criteria, Select Only when a record is created, as shown in the below screenshot, once you are done click on the Save button.
3. The next task is to add Process Criteria, To do this click on Add Criteria, enter Name, Type of action and set filter conditions as shown in the following screenshot.
- [EmailMessage].Parent.Status Equals Picklist Closed
- [EmailMessage].Incoming Equals Boolean True
- [EmailMessage].Parent.ClosedDate Greater than or equal Formula [EmailMessage].CreatedDate -5
4. The next step is to add an Immediate action to Process. Click on Add Action (Under Immediate actions), Select the type of action to create (In our case Record Updates), and then fill out the fields to define the action, as shown in the following screenshot.
For Record Type choose ‘Select a record related to the Email Message‘ as shown in the following screenshot
5. Once you are done, click on the Save button, it will redirect you to Process canvas. Finally, the Process will look like the following screenshot.
Don’t forget to active the Process by clicking on the Activate button.