A lead in a marketing context, is a potential sales contact, an individual or organization that expresses an interest in your products or services. Leads are typically captured through the referral of an existing customer, or direct through the company website (Using web-to-lead) etc. Usually, leads are converted when they have been identified as qualified sales prospects. During conversion the information from the standard lead fields appears in standard fields for contact, account, and opportunity records. Lead source is mapped to contact and opportunity lead source. It means, the standard Lead Source field on the Lead object is not mapped automatically to the Account Source field on the Account object when converting a lead. Let’s start with a business use case.
Business Use case :- Pamela Kline is working as System administrator in Universal Container. She has received a requirement a to auto populate Account Source field on Account object from Lead Source field on Lead object when converting a lead.
Solution of above business requirement
There are few possible solutions for the above business scenario, but we will use the Process Builder to solve this, without creating custom fields. Follow the below instructions to create a Process for the above business requirement
1. Click on Name | Setup | App Setup | Create | Workflows & Approvals | Process Builder and click on the New button, Enter Name, API Name and then click on the Save button.
2. The next step is to add entry criteria. For this click on Add Object, select Lead object and for the entry criteria, Select when a record is created or edited, as shown in the below screenshot, once you are done click on the Save button.
3. The next task is to add Process Criteria, To do this click on Add Criteria, enter Name, Type of action and set filter conditions (In this case set [Lead].IsConverted Equals Boolean True as shown in the following screenshot.
4. The next step is to add an Immediate action to Process. Click on Add Action (Under Immediate actions), Select the type of action to create (In our case Record Updates), and then fill out the fields to define the action, as shown in the following screenshot.
For Record Type choose ‘Select a record related to the Lead‘ as shown in the following screenshot
5. Once you are done, click on the Save button, it will redirect you to Process canvas. Finally the Process will look like the following screenshot.
Don’t forget to active the Process by clicking on the Activate button.
It’s time to test this feature
1) Navigate to the Lead tab, identify the Lead record and click on Lead Name to open record detail page, as shown in the following screenshot.
2) Now convert the Lead, and make sure to create a new account, as shown in the following screenshot
Once you are done, click on the Convert button.
Note :- I will suggest you to implement this first on your developer org, test it and then move it to production.